Tuesday, March 18, 2014


In his latest offering, conservative Australian cartoonist ZEG is disgusted by the aggression and foul language used at the latest Leftist demonstration

Why keep letting this filth out?

A sexual sadist with a history of horrific assaults on women dating back to when he was 15 has been released from jail by a Supreme Court judge in Perth.

The inmate, referred to as "TJD" for legal reasons, has been released despite being classed as one of Western Australia's worst sex offenders.

In a decision handed down last week, Commissioner Kevin Sleight revoked an indefinite detention order handed to "TJD" in 2011, which came after attacks on 13 women, including seven times when he used a weapon or replica weapon to threaten his victim into submission.

"Great care needs to be taken to ensure that another woman is not the subject of such an attack, which is likely to have long-term and severe psychological consequences," Mr Sleight said.

However, Mr Sleight said he was satisfied "TJD" could be released under a strict 10-year supervision order, which will include wearing a GPS tracking device.

He will have to abide to a night-time curfew, and is banned from unsupervised access to children.

"Although Mr TJD is a serious sex offender, the level of supervision, monitoring and treatment is such that the risk factors identified earlier ... are substantially controlled and minimised," Mr Sleight said.

The man's criminal history began in 1991 when he attacked three women in two days - culminating in a rape of a 17-year-old girl he threatened at gunpoint in a toilet block.

After three more attacks that year, TJD was sentenced in Perth Children's Court to three years detention.

Six weeks after being released, he committed indecent assaults, which led to more prison time.

In 2000, he raped a teenager a knifepoint after abducting her as she walked home from a train station.

And in 2003, he assaulted an 18-year-old woman in a Perth cemetery as she visited her grandmother's grave.

Having been jailed indefinitely in 2011, TJD was released on a supervision order in 2012 - which he breached almost immediately.

He failed to take his anti-libidinal medication, failed to complete his psychological counselling and used cannabis, and was again jailed.


No more Mr Nice Guy  for illegal immigrants

People smugglers are continuing to entice asylum seekers to Australia from Indonesia, despite ramped-up efforts by the government to stop the boats.

In a report by the ABC's 7.30, asylum seekers filmed their harrowing journey aboard an orange lifeboat provided by the Australia government as they were towed back for a second time to Indonesia.

"We will die in this orange boat. It's not suitable for passing the ocean," Arash Sedigh said he told the Australian officials, as he was allegedly forced onto the small orange vessel.

To which the officials allegedly replied: "That's not our problem. That's yours. If you die in the Indonesia water, makes Indonesian government in trouble and responsible. That's not our problem."

Boarding the people smuggler's wooden boat on January 27 with 34 others – including a pregnant woman and a one-year-old child – this was the second time Mr Sedigh, an Iranian asylum seeker, and his wife, Azi, had attempted the journey.

"When we arrive and Customs come inside our wooden boat, I just ask them 'Please, please, help us. Would you please take us in a safe place? They just shouted at me, 'Shut up! Shut up! Sit down!'", Mr Sedigh told the ABC.

"They pushed us. They punched us. We were just asking for our rights."

After Mr Sedigh asked for a doctor to treat the pregnant woman on board the wooden boat, and was allegedly denied by Australian officials, he became increasingly angry.

"I told them, I will kill you if you don't take us with that ship. I have nothing to lose. I will kill you. Believe me. For Jesus Christ please help us. Would you please help us?"

Responding to the program, the Immigration Department said there were "clear guidelines to govern the use of force".

"Central to these guidelines is to ensure that operations are conducted safely for both our own officers and persons who are the subject of these operations," a spokesman for Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said.

"For the past 88 days there has not been a single successful maritime people smuggling venture to Australia."

Even so, Mr Sedigh says people smugglers are still trying to encourage him and his wife to try again.

"They are trying to send us again they say us: 'if you want we can send you again several times but you cannot get back give back your money'," he told the ABC.

During the boat trip capture on video, Mr Sedigh provided a running commentary to the journey.

"This put us in this f---ing orange boat and sent us back to Indonesia and the navy was escorting that ship until today," he said. "F--- Australia."

"I said to them 'you are criminals'. If later on you said 'why did they do that to America on September 11?' you should know the cause of it, is you very deeds.  "They should remember 9/11 for the United States," he said.

This is not the first time asylum seekers have described their vomitous and terrifying experience aboard the orange life boats, which are the government's latest weapon against people smuggling.

Earlier this month, asylum seekers told Fairfax Media of their forced trip inside the lifeboat back to Indonesia.

Mr Sedigh told the ABC he would not attempt the journey again.  "No, I have two times bad experiences about this trip, I don't want to make my wife in trouble again. I want her for living together, I don't want to make her die."


Supreme Court Justice Philip McMurdo backs debate over prior crimes

TELLING juries about defendants’ prior convictions is a change worth debating, according to a senior Queensland judge.

Prosecutors are not permitted to tell juries about criminal histories, an issue that was highlighted when the shocking history of Brett Peter Cowan, the repeat sex offender convicted of the murder of Daniel Morcombe, was revealed.

Supreme Court Justice Philip McMurdo – who was speaking as the President of the Judicial Conference of Australia – said the change was "a proper subject for public discussion”.

He added that he was not speaking about any particular case and stressed that debate must be considered and informed.

"This complex subject cannot be discussed fairly in the space of a few sentences,” Justice McMurdo said.

"But any change to the law in Queensland on this subject should be made with the benefit of the independent advice of the Queensland Law Reform Commission.”

The debate has the backing of Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie and Supreme Court Justice Paul de Jersey. Mr Bleijie said yesterday he was happy to discuss the idea.

The judge sentenced Daniel Morcombe?s killer to life imprisonment but Queensland law means despite his depraved history of child sex offences, Brett Peter Cowan could walk free in 20 years.

"The Government’s priority has been ensuring that appropriate deterrents and adequate punishments for serious criminal offences are set,” he said.

"It’s a debate that some Queenslanders have called for, and is worth having, but we need to take into account how it could affect a person’s right to a fair trial, free of prejudice.”

Similar fact evidence can be tendered in Queensland courts but a prosecution attempt to have Cowan’s convictions presented to the jury was refused by Supreme Court Justice Roslyn Atkinson.

Justice Atkinson sentenced Cowan to a non-parole period of 20 years. In Cowan’s previous cases, charges were downgraded and jurors never heard about his past criminal acts. Some commentators have said Daniel might be alive if the justice system had thrown the book at Cowan at his first or second trial.

Cowan served little time in Queensland and the Northern Territory for serious sexual assaults against children.

Last year, Justice de Jersey expressed support for change.  "Why ... should a jury be denied knowledge that an alleged rapist committed another rape six months earlier ... or that an accused charged with fraud has a string of convictions for dishonesty?” he said.

"I trust the intelligence and wisdom of my fellow citizens. I do not accept a claim that, made aware of prior misconduct, jurors would automatically say: ‘He did that so he must have done this’."

Child protection groups applauded the position but the Bar Association of Queensland opposes the move.


Taxman wields the axe on unsatisfactory workers

The Australian Taxation Office sacked six of its workers in the second half of last year for failing to show up to their jobs, according to the giant department's latest disciplinary snapshot.

Another six tax officials were fired for being lousy workers and five were shown the door after breaching the Australian Public Service code of conduct.

The figures were sent to all 23,000 of the department's staff on Monday morning with a stern warning to miscreants that even if they escape the sack, a disciplinary "sanction" will stay on the permanent record.

The friendly advice went out in a newsletter as thousands of tax officials discover if they have been granted their wish of a golden handshake from the organisation.

Several hundred applicants, out of 2100 hopefuls, will be notified on Monday and Tuesday if they get their hoped-for payout or if they have to stay at their desks for the foreseeable future.

Tax's staff newsletter ATO Extra reported the results of formal investigations from July 1 to December 31, 2013, reporting 17 sackings, 12 of them under the ATO Employment Principles and another five under the PS code of conduct.

Six of the employment principles casualties were dumped for "failure to conform to attendance obligations," while another six were fired for "underperformance".

Four tax officials were demoted over breaches of the public service code while another 13 had their wages reduced.

One lucky bureaucrat escaped punishment for an undisclosed breach, while another two resigned after breaking the rules.

Tax bosses also announced on Monday that more redundancies will be offered than initially announced, in anticipation of many applicants developing cold feet.

It was expected that 300 offers would be made, with another 200 redundancies offered to workers at the abolished Australian Valuation Office.

But second Taxation Commissioner Geoff Leeper told his workers on Monday that he expected initial enthusiasm for a payout to fade in some cases. "Following careful assessment of our financial position, a decision was made to offer more than the forecast number of VR offers on the basis that we expect some people will not take up the offer," Mr Leeper wrote.

Most applicants for redundancies will have been notified by Monday afternoon and have two working days to tell their bosses. A one-month "consultation" period will then follow before final offers are made.


No comments: